Forum of Kaup

Информация о пользователе

Привет, Гость! Войдите или зарегистрируйтесь.

Вы здесь » Forum of Kaup » Верования и мифология (закрыт) » Prussian language

Prussian language

Сообщений 1 страница 30 из 51

Dear NT. As we noticed Your forum and liked it very much, we thought it would be very important to use autochthonic language of Prussia here, especially discussing Baltic culture, mythology because this is the most archaic of Baltic languages and studying mythology we touch the most archaic layer of culture. As it seemed to us this would be the perfect place to write in Prussian because we saw that there were topics with such interests. More over, to our opinion it is very good to use the Prussian language still, as once it was spoken here in Sambia where Kaup is located and now reconstructing the life of those days it would be fine not to forget about such an important thing of a man like Language. It was connected with all fields of man's activity, as well as with all subjects of Your discussions like dress, ornaments, handicraft and so on. So I hope that it is interesting for You that this language as a part of Prussian culture is now represented on Your forum. Please don't be angry with us that we "intruded" into Your space, we hope that it is at least beautiful to see the language.

Aistis, I'm sorry, where you learn Prussian language? And so good learn... I think it's very intresting language. And, as I can, this language is very close to Finnish. I think, it's beatiful to see language, but even interesting to understend about what you were talking. Can you do a little translation please?

WTF? :D

Thanks for the answer, Aistis. Now I'm interested in some prussian names. I'm looking for my name. If you can give some links or, may be scanned books with old prussian names, I will be very glad and will say you big thaks.=)

Dear Aistis, may I ask you? Are you  linguist or Prussian is just your hobby?
The matter is that I came across this discussion and was really interested in this question. I am a student of Philology myself, but I study Germanic languages. 
Please, tell in details where are you from, how many of you are found of Prussian?
And one more question: when did this language dissapear,  really after Teutons invasion?

Thank you.

As for Prussian names, now i have no possibility to look for some links but I could see something about it and advise you some possible variants if you tell me how you'd like to choose your name: it should be of some concrete meaning? or maybe you'd like to have something similar to your real name? or maybe you have some other idea how you'd look for it?
I wonder why you'd like to have Prussian name? Not Scandinavian or some German, for example?

Torryn Raud: yes, i have studied Prussian at university. I studied Baltistics. If You want, we could discuss some linguistic problems. I am from Prussian part of today's Lithuania where still now live lots of Prussians who after the war stayed here and didn't go to Germany. They still remember both German and local Prussian dialects. I know many people along the whole Baltic - from Germany to Latvia who use Prussian as it was normalized by linguists more than 20 years ago. The language never disappeared. Officially it happened in 18th century after Plague of 1709 - 1711 and after arriving of colonists from West Europe in 1730ies. But what does it mean - disappeared? It means that the language just lost its own strict features and turned into groups of dialects as those days every little district had its own dialect and all of them could influence each other.

I think, about Prussian language beter to say dead language, but not desapeared. Dead becouse now there is no or too less people, who use this language all the time in life. Like, for example, latinian language.

About names. Why I want to have Prussian name? Becouse I'm trying to reconstruct early medieval ages prussian. And beter than all if this name will similar with my real name. Just becouse I don't like to give a big sense to names. This name is just for the festivals, not for life.

As Aistis already said, there are a lot of people - old, yong, who use this language around the Baltic, communicate and speak at home only prussian (the very "dead" language, which actually never'd been dead).

Hmmm... Then I'm sorry. I've never heard about it.

Thank You so much. I am really interested in it, because I respect the Prussian inheritance greatly. That's a pity we know not so much about it. Saying dissappear  - I meant "out of usage", I really did not know someone still uses it, as Byker did. Sorry about that=) By the way, what exact linguistic problems do you want to discuss?What do you think about Germanic languages?

P.S> Is there any impact of German on Prussian ?Are there many dialects of Prussian now?

P.S>> Can you write me about some periods of development of Prussian ?

I was also asked to ask you if you reconstruct something like Prussian clothes and life matters as Kaup do. If you don't, it doesn't matter.

Best wishes.

One more: Do you know German?

As I see we are discussing languages in the section of Mythology. I can guess that Moderators don't like it. So maybe we should open some "Languages" section, I don't know.

As for "dead" languages, to my opinion using this term "dead" we should think better what it could mean. For example, the Latin. Just think a little bit how many people know Latin very well and then there are a lot of people who studied it in universities and know it not so good but still know. So  maybe there are many thousands of them. I know that there is some radio where transmission is in Latin, there are films in Latin, there are oceans of books in Latin and people read them and so on. But still in this case we say to ourselves: Latin is "dead" language! Logically it's absurd because it is in use. And the usage of it is so large. And we never hear the term "Ancient Italian". So the reason to be "dead" for language is not only if it is not in use anymore. It could not be "dead" because today's Latin is just Italian. And the Italian of olden times is just a normal history of the same language. So the terms can be very very relative.

About Prussian. As I've already said, for about 20 years ago (or even a bit more) Prussian language was normalized as it happened in 20th cent to many languages of little countries like Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian which actually didn’t exist in natural environment (the similar situation was with many Slavic languages) because of different century-long occupations and some other political situations. So they were reconstructed from folklore data, from books, dictionaries, from different dialects. Historical aspects: authentic Prussian language was still widely used in 16th cent. Why we know about it? Because if it wasn't like this, Prussian authorities would never spend money for publishing books in Prussian. They published them and this fact shows that there were very many native speakers that time. Even in 17th cent historians wrote that in Sambia still it was possible to meet such Prussians who didn't understand German language at all!!! That was like this because until 18th cent the colonization was not so aggressive. In 16th-17th cent Prussians of Nadrowia and Skalovia little by little began to use different East-Baltic dialects. And West-Baltic (Prussian) remained mostly in Sambia. Even in 20th cent everyday's "German" language in Prussia was not the same German as it is now on TV in Germany: in Prussian German of 20 cent people used considerable amount of Baltic words. Torryn Raud, you can ask V. Gilmanov about it if you study German in university because he contacted many Prussians who live now in Germany.
Yes, German impact was. Books in Prussian of 16th cent show it. On the other hand it is difficult to say if the impact was so strong because these books were translated into Prussian from German with oceans of mistakes. So maybe it was just translators who translated them under the strong influence of German. Anyway it is clear where is German construction and where is Baltic one because all these texts are written in two languages.
There are two main dialects: "Sembiskan" (Sambian) and "Pameddiskan" (Pomezanian). The first one is normative now.
I know German not so good.

If we reconstruct something like Prussian clothes? Well, yes. But anyway, try to understand that if you come to Prussian part of Lithuania or to Germany and ask real Prussian people something like this, how do you think they would tell you. They'd answer: sorry, we don't need to reconstruct our clothes because we are modern people and we wear what we wear – usual modern clothes.
Of course, I understand that you ask about historical clothes. Well, some people do it and I think it is good to use some elements even in modern life but anyway it is not so necessary for the living.

As for Prussian name, i can offer you some variant, just give some hints.

на всякий случай:
перевод (английского текста)
(сделан программой, так что местами неадекватен)

Отредактировано Darken (2008-02-01 10:56:28)

I don't realy understand, what hints you need? If you need my name, it's Ivan. Thaks once more for offering.

Your name is "international", the same name for Prussian is
Jōnis, Jōniks, Jāns.
But it's not so interesting.

Some name which are next to them:
Jōndelis, Jōnagedis, Jaūnis, Jaūnats, Jaūnagedis, Jaūnagatis, Jaūgedis,
Jātils, Jāwartis, Jagaūdis,

Some names with the beginning "wa- ":
Waīnis, Waīniks, Waīnabuts, Waīnagedis, Wainajātis, Waīnatis,
Waīsebuts, Waīsnaris, Wannags

So maybe now we can try with your last name.

Interesting what about names with the begining "wa-". What they means?
My last name is too long and hard to translate. I think, there is no need try. Thanks.

Поскольку дискуссия самопроизвольно отклонилась от темы в сторону лингвистики, то позвольте задать наводящий вопрос тем, кто полагает, что прусский язык исчез с лица земли в 14 веке вместе с непокорным прусским народом, зверски замученным в тевтонских застенках и насмерть заклеванным "хищной птицей ордена": зачем во второй половине 16 века типографии Кенигсберга печатали книги на прусском языке? не иначе, как в память об утраченном культурном наследии, ага   B)  ))))
Можно для начала и в энциклопию какую заглянуть http://www.tuminaea.ru/text/055.htm, прежде чем абы что ляпнуть...

About Prussian language was already written that it was widely spoken till 18th cent, then it was turned into different dialects. Nothing disappeared.
About meanings of the names with "wa-" I should think a little bit.
It is very clear about the name "Wannags", it is bird "jastreb". It is very popular name.

Aistis, да я то знаю ))  просто некоторые "знатоки" пребывают в плену советских стереотипов о геноциде прусского народа злыми тевтончиками ....

Aistis, excuse me for my awful English. It is known, that for a long time there is no people which would speak in Prussian language. Language was kept in the form of separate words in dialects, and also in written sources. Сould you tell a little about allocation of words, and also tell what written sources to you are known. And still, tell, please, how you define a pronunciation? It is very interesting to us, but actually we have not enough trustworthy information.

Aistis
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! It's really amazing!
By the way, I'm not interested in clothers so much, my great interest is language.
And how do you know proff. V. Gilmanov?
One more question to you. What is about proto-Prussian language? Or it's better to say in general proto-Baltic? How did this language group appear? I have one more question, but next time!

Best wishes.

Тевтонскому апологету paladin

Это я ляпнула, признаюсь. Но мне за это не стыдно. Ибо я спросила так ли это или нет, а вам бы лишь бы написать что-то.....

Будь проще, тевтончик.....и без пафоса.....

The monuments of Old Prussian are:
1 - Prussian geographical names within the territory of Baltic Prussia (the first basic study of these names was by Georg Gerullis, Die altpreußischen Ortsnamen. Berlin und Leipzig, 1922) [ON];
2 – Prussian personal names (up to now the main research is of Reinhold Trautmann, Die altpreußischen Personennamen. Göttingen, 1923, in which the work of Ernst Lewy, 1904, is included) [APN];
3 - separate words found in various historical documents [DK];
4 - vernacularisms in former German dialects of East and West Prussia, as well words of the Old Curonian origin in Latvian and West-Baltic vernacularisms in Lithuanian and Belorussian [DIA];
5 - so called Basel Epigram
6 – fragmentary texts
a) recorded in several versions by Hieronymus Maletius in Sudovian Nook in the middle of the 16th c. –
b) an expresion from the list (F) of the Vocabulary of friar Simon Grunau, a historian of the German Order -
7 – a manuscript fragment of the first words of Pater Noster from the beginning of the 15th c

8 - 100 words in strongly varying versions of the Vocabulary by Simon Grunau of ca. 1517-1526 [Gr];
9 - so called Elbing Vocabulary consisting of 802 thematically sorted words and their German equivalents. This manuscript, copied by Peter Holcwesscher from Marienburg on the boundary of the 14th / 15th c., was found in 1825 by Fr. Neumann among other manuscripts acquired by him from the heritage of Elbing merchant A. Grübnau (“Codex Neumannianus”) [E];
10 - 11 - 12 - three Catechisms [I, II, III] printed in Königsberg in 1540, 1540 and 1561 respectively, of which two first consist only 6 pages of the Prussian text, the II being a correction of the I in an another sub-dialect, but the III one consists of 132 pages of the Prussian text and is a translation by Abel Will of Martin Luther’s Enchiridion.
13 - An adage of 1583 - [OT], [MBS].

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Today's phonetics is based on the orthography of historical monuments, then of course, how real old people in Prussian parts still speak.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

V.Gilmanow is well-known person among Prussians in Germany. Maybe their leader R. Grunenberg told about him. Then he is known in Lithuania because of his works on Simon Dach.

As for proto-Baltic, it is supposed (according V. Mažiulis) that about 20th cent BC there was the last zone of proto-Indo-European between Vistula river, Baltic Sea, Dnieper river. And after the separation of German dialects from this area, we can speak about proto-Baltic. About 6th cent BC it was divided into Western and Eastern Baltic dialects. About 5th cent BC according V.Martynov from Western Baltic was separated proto-Slavic. It happened as a result of Iranian influence.

Отредактировано Aistis (2008-02-05 21:20:45)

Тевтонскому апологету paladin.gif

я апологет знания простых вещей, исключающего необдуманные речи...

Это я ляпнула, признаюсь. Но мне за это не стыдно.

и, как показала практика, напрасно (с)

Ибо я спросила так ли это или нет, а вам бы лишь бы написать что-то.....

я просто сказал, что стыдно не знать "как это" на самом деле...

Будь проще, тевтончик.....и без пафоса.....

действительно, давайте  без пафоса, но в меру: давно ли мы с вами на "ты"?

и, кстати, я не "тевтончик", я -  всего лишь тупой алкоголик, которому обидно за поколение, не знающее историю земли, которую топчет... не имеющее понятия о системном подходе и аналитическом мышлении...

Отредактировано kolesoo (2008-02-06 05:36:00)

Я думаю, Илья, через лет кпримеру 50, такой же как ты, будет утверждать, что российские историки неправильно оценили данный этап истории. И приводить неоспоримые доводы.
Лично я, несомневаюсь, что наиважнейшая причина загнивания прусского языка и культуры завоевательная политика тевтонскрго ордена.
С любопытством узнаю "как это было на самом деле". Но уж выводы сам сделаю.

Отредактировано Бьярни (2008-02-06 10:18:10)

Да уж, истребление больше половины населения действительно должно было способствовать загниванию культуры..
Другое дело, какое количество населения успело свалить в Литву и Беларусь. Только вот эта тема до сих пор не слишком освещается в книжках по истории родного края.

I don't think that such conversations about "rotten" culture are so usefull. Today for everybody there is possibility to study a lot of what was then. Person may study it and bears it in his mind. So thus culture will not be "rotten". Problem that today person usually collects  just to represent it for some event but not take it as something really His.
Well, as for Order, during Order times Prussians still lived and had their traditions. Of course, some people were killed but still culture was alive.
Colonization of 1730ies was the real reason, then agressive was Kaiser's policy towards all non-German things in Prussia.
But still as i already wrote that local "German" culture is just a myth. Culture was really "germanized" but it doesn't mean that it was "German".
In this sense all traditional cultures were "rotten". The reason everywhere is the same: trade and merchandising brought new religion and the logic was like this: if i have this religion as well, it will help me to have good business.

Отредактировано Aistis (2008-02-06 23:07:32)

Статья "Прусы Беларуси"
http://secret-r.net/publish.php?p=33

О степени достоверности - судите сами... но любопытно было бы съездить в Одрижин, к примеру...

Могу сказать, что большинство белорусских ученых ни о чем таком не знают. Надо поискать свежие публикации. У меня есть статья Квятковской, она говорит, что прусские поселения фиксируются до XX века, но про отдельный язык там ничего не сказано, только про диалект.

There are lots of places in today's Byelorussia where you can find such roots like prus-, prut- that shows that it was settlements of Prussians there, as well as in Southern Lithuania. But still, as for language, by 20th cent it could be dialects only. Prussians who came to these places in Orden times started to use dialects of LDK (VKL). Even when such Prussians came back to Prussia in 16 cent when Order stoped existing, it means that they might bring to Prussia some dialects of LDK. You can see it from Skalovia's toponimy.

Aistis, I agree with you, I think, that any language should be deformed for hundreds years. But we practically don't have any scientific publications even about a dialect. Therefore the most people thinks, that language was not kept at all.

Here the most adequate texts, from those that I have found in google which do not deny existence of Prussian language and do not consider its slavic:
ИЗУЧЕНИЕ ПРУССКОГО ЯЗЫКА В ИНТЕРНЕТЕ http://www.languages-study.com/preussisch.html
Википедия http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D1%80%...%B7%D1%8B%D0%BA
Фрагменты прусских текстов, словарики http://www.kortlandt.nl/editions/
TRILINGUAL DICTIONARY OF PRUSSIAN (Prussian, German, English) http://poshka.bizland.com/prussian/reconstructions.htm

Aistis, may be you know more interested links? On russian, english, german, polski or lithuanian language.. We would be grateful to you  :)

Отредактировано NT (2008-02-08 15:13:04)

Русско-прусский онлайн словарик http://www.prusai.org/wirdeins/index.php?ndklb=lt

Вы здесь » Forum of Kaup » Верования и мифология (закрыт) » Prussian language